For 99 years, Roker Park was Sunderland A.F.C.’s home and one of English football’s most feared away trips — a stadium whose banked terraces produced the legendary ‘Roker Roar’ and whose record crowd of 75,118 still stands as the biggest ever for a match in North East England.
This guide goes beyond the highlights reel to cover exactly how the ground was built up stand by stand, how its capacity swelled and then shrank across a century, its role at the 1966 World Cup, the story of its final two matches in May 1997, and precisely what stands on the site — down to the street names — today.
Quick Answer
Roker Park was Sunderland A.F.C.’s football ground in the Roker area of Sunderland, England, in use from 10 September 1898 to 13 May 1997. Its official capacity peaked at around 60,000 in the 1930s, it held an all-time record crowd of 75,118 for an FA Cup tie in March 1933, and it hosted four 1966 FIFA World Cup matches, including a quarter-final. Demolished in 1998, the site is now a residential estate whose street names — including Clockstand Close and Goalmouth Close — commemorate the old ground.
A Stadium Built for the Crowds: The History of Roker Park
Roker Park was Sunderland’s sixth ground, built after the club outgrew its Newcastle Road site. It was officially opened on 10 September 1898 by Charles Vane-Tempest-Stewart, 6th Marquess of Londonderry, with a friendly against Liverpool that Sunderland won 1–0, Jim Leslie scoring the ground’s first goal.
The stadium grew steadily over the following decades. The Roker End was concreted and extended by 1912–13, pushing capacity toward 50,000. In 1929, celebrated stadium architect Archibald Leitch redesigned the Main Stand at a cost of around £25,000, adding his trademark criss-cross lattice ironwork to the front fascia — a section of which was later preserved and re-erected at the Stadium of Light car park. The Clock Stand was rebuilt in 1936, a 375-foot, two-tier structure officially opened by Lady Raine. By the 1930s, official capacity had reached roughly 60,000, and in 1952 Roker Park became only the second ground in English football, after Arsenal’s Highbury, to install floodlights.
From the late 1980s, Roker Park’s inability to expand — hemmed in on all sides by residential streets — combined with the post-Hillsborough Taylor Report’s requirement for all-seater top-flight grounds to make the stadium unsustainable, and Sunderland committed to building a new stadium rather than attempting a cramped, costly rebuild.
The Stands of Roker Park
The ground was made up of four distinct sides, each with its own character. The Main Stand, Archibald Leitch’s 1929 rebuild, ran along the pitch and was the architectural centrepiece, its lattice steelwork instantly recognisable. Facing it across the pitch stood the Clock Stand, rebuilt in 1936 with two covered tiers and topped by the clock that gave it its name; its predecessor, the Clock Stand Paddock, had been a simple 32-step terrace with crush barriers rather than seating.
Behind each goal sat the Roker End and the Fulwell End. The Roker End was concreted in 1912 to hold vast standing crowds, but large sections were demolished in 1982 as safety regulations tightened, permanently reducing overall capacity years before the Taylor Report forced further change. The Fulwell End, opposite, was given a roof in the mid-1960s and had temporary seating added ahead of the 1966 World Cup, updating the ground for international football.
Roker Park Capacity: How It Changed Over 99 Years
Roker Park’s capacity moved dramatically across its lifetime. After the Roker End was concreted, capacity stood at around 50,000 by 1912–13, and it climbed to roughly 60,000 by the 1930s as the ground’s banked terraces reached their fullest extent. For the 1966 World Cup, safety works brought the effective capacity to 40,310.
The decline began with the partial demolition of the Roker End in 1982 and accelerated after the 1989 Hillsborough disaster and the resulting Taylor Report, which mandated all-seater stadiums for top-flight English football and required remaining terraces to be converted to seating. Because Roker Park could not physically expand, the club judged full compliance impractical on the site. By its final season, capacity stood at approximately 22,500 — with some standing areas still in place — less than half of its 1930s peak.
Roker Park Record Attendance: 75,118
The record attendance at Roker Park is 75,118, set on 8 March 1933 for an FA Cup sixth-round tie between Sunderland and Derby County — still the all-time attendance record for a football match anywhere in North East England. It comfortably exceeded the ground’s official capacity of around 60,000 at the time, reflecting an era when packed cup-tie crowds routinely surpassed stated limits.
At the other extreme, Roker Park’s lowest recorded attendance was just 1,447, for a League Cup tie against Walsall on 25 September 1991, a stark illustration of the club’s early-1990s slump before promotion and a Premier League return revived the ground in its final years.
The Roker Roar
Few English grounds generated an atmosphere as ferocious as Roker Park. The banked terraces, built from earthen embankments, funnelled crowd noise directly onto the pitch. Writing after Sunderland’s dramatic 1961 FA Cup tie with Tottenham Hotspur, Spurs captain Danny Blanchflower described it best: “Nothing I have ever heard equalled the intensity of that wild roar at Roker Park when Sunderland drew level… I doubt whether it has ever seen such excitement before — or ever will again.”
That eruption of noise, repeated on big match days for decades, became known simply as the Roker Roar, and it is the single most-cited reason former players and opposition alike remember the ground so vividly.
Roker Park and the 1966 World Cup
Roker Park was one of the venues for the 1966 FIFA World Cup, hosting four matches: three Group 4 fixtures plus a quarter-final between the Soviet Union and Hungary. The best-attended of the group games, Soviet Union vs Italy, drew 27,793 spectators. Hosting the tournament prompted ground improvements, including the new Fulwell End roof and additional seating in the Clock Stand, that modernised the stadium for international audiences.
The Final Whistle: Roker Park’s Last Matches
Sunderland’s last competitive match at Roker Park came on 3 May 1997, a 3–0 Premier League win over Everton with Chris Waddle among the scorers. Ten days later, on 13 May 1997, the club staged a farewell friendly against Liverpool — the same opponents from the ground’s opening day 99 years earlier. Midfielder John Mullin scored the only goal in a 1–0 win, mirroring, in reverse, Sunderland’s 1–0 victory over Liverpool at the stadium’s very first match in 1898.
Roker Park Today: What’s on the Site Now
Roker Park was demolished in 1998, shortly after Sunderland moved to the Stadium of Light. The site was redeveloped into a residential estate of around 130 homes, and its streets were named in tribute to the old ground: Promotion Close, Clockstand Close, Goalmouth Close, Midfield Drive, Turnstile Mews, and Roker Park Close. Nothing of the stadium structure itself survives on site, though a preserved fragment of Archibald Leitch’s Main Stand lattice work can still be seen at the Stadium of Light, the club’s current home, whose official site carries further club history and heritage features.
Roker Park FAQs
What was Roker Park’s record attendance?
75,118, set on 8 March 1933 for an FA Cup sixth-round tie against Derby County — the highest attendance ever recorded for a football match in North East England.
Why did Sunderland leave Roker Park?
The ground was hemmed in by residential streets and could not be expanded to meet the all-seater requirements of the post-Hillsborough Taylor Report, so Sunderland built the Stadium of Light instead.
When was Roker Park demolished, and what replaced it?
Roker Park was demolished in 1998, a year after the final match. A housing estate of around 130 homes now occupies the site, with streets including Clockstand Close and Goalmouth Close named after the old stadium.
Did Roker Park host World Cup matches?
Yes. It staged four matches at the 1966 FIFA World Cup — three Group 4 games and a quarter-final between the Soviet Union and Hungary.
What was the Roker Roar?
The nickname for the deafening noise generated by crowds on Roker Park’s banked terraces, famously described by Tottenham captain Danny Blanchflower as unequalled by anything he heard at any other ground.
Who designed Roker Park’s Main Stand?
Archibald Leitch, the era’s leading football stadium architect, redesigned the Main Stand in 1929, adding the criss-cross lattice steelwork that became the ground’s signature feature.
Get More from Roker Park
Log the coasters, stadiums, and venues you’ve experienced, rate Roker Park, and see what your friends thought. Get the ThrillZing app.