Maine Road Stadium: History, Location & What’s There Now

June 17, 2026

comment 1 comment

by tz

Maine Road was Manchester City’s home for 80 years — from an explosive opening in August 1923, when 58,159 fans watched off Sheffield United, to a quiet 1–0 defeat to Southampton on 11 May 2003. In between, it packed in a record 84,569 supporters for an FA Cup tie, sheltered a bomb-damaged Manchester United, and earned the nickname ‘Wembley of the North.’

Today the Moss Side site is a housing estate, and almost nothing of the old ground remains above ground. This guide covers exactly where Maine Road stood, what you’ll find there now, and the full story of one of English football’s most storied lost stadiums — its records, its stands, its unlikely tenants, and even the rock concerts it hosted.

Quick Answer

Maine Road was Manchester City’s stadium in Moss Side, Manchester (postcode M14 7WN) from 1923 to 2003. It once held over 84,000 fans, was demolished in 2004, and the site is now a housing estate with the old centre spot preserved in a communal green space.

Maine Road Stadium Location

Maine Road sat in Moss Side, a residential district roughly two miles south of Manchester city centre — actually closer to the centre than Old Trafford, which lies across the river in Stretford. The ground occupied 16.25 acres on what had previously been a Victorian brickworks, at coordinates approximately 53°27′04″N, 2°14′07″W.

Kippax Street, running along the stadium’s east side, gave the famous Kippax Stand its name, and the tightly packed working-class terraces around the ground shaped its character for eight decades. Visiting fans traditionally reached Maine Road by bus from Manchester Piccadilly or Victoria, walking the final stretch along Maine Road itself — a pre-match ritual for generations of City supporters.

Visiting the Maine Road Site Today

There’s no stadium left to tour — Maine Road was demolished in 2004 and the 16.25-acre plot was redeveloped by Manchester City Council as part of a wider Moss Side regeneration scheme, delivering 474 new homes, a school, and a retirement complex. It’s a quiet residential street today, not a tourist attraction, but the most poignant remnant survives: the old centre spot, preserved in a communal green space within the estate, alongside a small memorial to Stan Gibson, Maine Road’s final groundsman.

The site remains accessible by public bus from central Manchester, in the same Moss Side area described above. Fans wanting to see where Manchester City plays now, rather than where they used to play, should head instead to the Etihad Stadium in east Manchester, roughly three miles away — current match, ticket, and stadium tour information is available on the official Manchester City website.

Manchester City’s Old Ground: History and Timeline

Manchester City built Maine Road after a 1920 fire severely damaged the main stand at their previous home, Hyde Road in Ardwick. The club bought the Moss Side brickworks site for £5,500, appointed Charles Swain as architect and Sir Robert McAlpine as structural engineer, and completed the project in roughly 300 days at a total cost of around £100,000.

The ground opened on 25 August 1923 with City beating Sheffield United 2–1 in front of 58,159 fans — immediately England’s second-largest stadium after Wembley. On 3 March 1934, a record 84,569 spectators packed in for an FA Cup sixth-round tie against Stoke City; police reportedly closed the turnstiles 20 minutes before kick-off on safety grounds, with thousands more locked outside. That figure stood as the English club home-ground record for over 80 years, only surpassed when Tottenham Hotspur temporarily played home games at Wembley in 2017–18.

City played their final competitive match at Maine Road on 11 May 2003, losing 1–0 to Southampton in front of a sold-out crowd. The following season they moved to the newly built City of Manchester Stadium — constructed for the 2002 Commonwealth Games and later renamed the Etihad Stadium — about three miles away in east Manchester.

The Famous Stands: Kippax, Main Stand and More

Maine Road’s layout grew piecemeal over 80 years, giving it a distinctively asymmetric skyline. The Main Stand, on the west side, was the original showpiece and the first section with seating, housing 10,000 spectators while the rest of the ground stayed open terracing.

The Kippax, originally called the Popular Side, ran the full east touchline and became the spiritual home of City’s most passionate fans; it was roofed and renamed after Kippax Street in 1956. Following the Taylor Report’s all-seater requirements after Hillsborough, the old Kippax terrace was demolished in 1994 and replaced by a dramatic three-tier stand, opened by club legend Bert Trautmann in October 1995 at a cost of £16 million — briefly the tallest football stand in England, holding 10,178 seats.

The North Stand, built in the 1970s with a cantilevered roof, and the Platt Lane Stand — demolished in 1992 for safety reasons and replaced by the all-seater Umbro/Kappa Stand in March 1993 — completed the four-sided ground. By closure in 2003, the fully all-seater stadium held 35,150. A temporary, uncovered stand erected in the corner between the Kippax and North Stand in 1997–98 became known to fans as the ‘Gene Kelly Stand’, a nod to those sat there ‘singin’ in the rain’ with no roof for shelter.

Manchester United at Maine Road

One of Maine Road’s most remarkable chapters involves City’s fiercest rivals. When German bombing raids in the Manchester Blitz left Old Trafford badly damaged, Manchester United needed an emergency home — and City took them in, renting Maine Road out to United from 1945 to 1949 for around £5,000 a season plus a share of gate receipts.

United returned briefly for the 1956–57 European Cup. Old Trafford still lacked floodlights, and UEFA required evening kick-offs for continental fixtures, so United played their first three European home games at Maine Road — Manchester’s first floodlit football ground, lit up since 1953 — including a 10–0 thrashing of Belgian side RSC Anderlecht, a European Cup scoring record that stood for 17 years. Old Trafford finally got its own floodlights in 1957.

Records, Nicknames and the ‘Wembley of the North’

As England’s second-largest ground when it opened in 1923, Maine Road quickly earned the nickname ‘Wembley of the North.’ It hosted 18 FA Cup semi-finals between 1928 and 1994, regular England internationals — including a 3–0 win over Wales in November 1946 and a 9–2 rout of Northern Ireland in 1949, England’s first-ever FIFA World Cup qualifier — plus FA Charity Shields and the 1984 Football League Cup Final replay, won by Liverpool over Everton.

For long spells the pitch was the widest in English football, its dimensions repeatedly adjusted by different City managers to suit their team’s style; by the final 2002–03 season it measured 107 by 71 metres. Floodlights arrived in 1953, first switched on for a friendly against Scottish side Hearts, which City won 6–3.

Beyond Football: Rugby League and Concerts at Maine Road

Maine Road’s huge capacity made it a natural venue well beyond football. From 1939 to 1956 it hosted the Rugby League Championship play-off finals, drawing a crowd of 75,194 in 1949.

As a concert venue, Maine Road hosted some of the biggest names in music, including the Rolling Stones (1990), Bon Jovi, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Prince, and Queen. Its most famous gigs came in April 1996, when Oasis played two sold-out nights to roughly 84,000 fans combined — the Manchester band’s first-ever stadium headline shows.

Maine Road stadium FAQs

Where was Maine Road stadium located?

Maine Road stood in Moss Side, Manchester, England, at postcode M14 7WN, on a 16.25-acre former brickworks site roughly two miles south of Manchester city centre.

What is on the Maine Road site now?

A residential housing estate with 474 homes, a school, and a retirement complex, built as part of a Moss Side regeneration scheme. The old centre spot is preserved in a communal green space, alongside a memorial to former groundsman Stan Gibson.

When did Manchester City leave Maine Road, and why?

City played their last match there on 11 May 2003, losing 1–0 to Southampton, then moved to the newly built City of Manchester Stadium (now the Etihad Stadium) in east Manchester for far greater capacity and modern facilities as part of the city’s Commonwealth Games regeneration.

What was the attendance record at Maine Road?

84,569, set on 3 March 1934 for an FA Cup sixth-round tie against Stoke City. It remained the English club home-ground record until Tottenham Hotspur temporarily used Wembley Stadium in 2017–18.

Did Manchester United ever play home games at Maine Road?

Yes. United rented Maine Road from Manchester City from 1945 to 1949 while bomb-damaged Old Trafford was rebuilt, and returned briefly in the 1956–57 European Cup because Old Trafford still lacked the floodlights UEFA required for evening fixtures.

Why was Maine Road nicknamed the ‘Wembley of the North’?

It opened in 1923 as England’s second-largest football ground after Wembley itself, and went on to host 18 FA Cup semi-finals, England internationals, and major finals, cementing the nickname.

Can you visit the old Maine Road stadium?

The stadium itself is gone, but the site is a public housing estate you can walk through. The preserved centre spot in the communal green space is the main point of interest for visiting fans; there’s no visitor centre or official tour.

What was Maine Road’s capacity when it closed?

35,150, an all-seater capacity following ground safety reforms after the Hillsborough disaster. That’s far below its 1930s peak of over 84,000, when standing terraces dominated the ground.

Get More from Maine Road stadium

Log the coasters, stadiums, and venues you’ve experienced, rate Maine Road stadium, and see what your friends thought. Get the ThrillZing app.

Want the day’s theme park news in your inbox? Subscribe to ThrillZing Daily — free.

1 thought on “Maine Road Stadium: History, Location & What’s There Now”

Comments are closed.