Baseball Ground, Derby: History, Facts & What Stands Today

🏛 Historic

June 18, 2026

comment No comments

by tz

Named after a sport that barely caught on in England, the Baseball Ground was Derby County’s home for 102 years and one of English football’s most atmospheric old grounds. Squeezed into a tight residential grid on Shaftesbury Crescent in the Normanton area of Derby, it grew from a modest Victorian workers’ sports complex into a 42,000-capacity stadium that twice hosted First Division championship celebrations — and it kept that peculiar name simply because its original owner built it not for football, but for baseball.

Derby County played at the Baseball Ground from 1895 until 1997, when the club relocated to the purpose-built Pride Park Stadium. Reserve and youth sides used the old ground until 2003, after which it was demolished and replaced by a residential estate. This article covers the ground’s origins, its stands and layout, its greatest matches, its notoriously muddy pitch, the last game played there, and exactly what stands on the site today.

Quick Answer

The Baseball Ground was Derby County’s football stadium from 1895 to 1997, located on Shaftesbury Crescent in Derby, England. Built in 1890 by industrialist Sir Francis Ley as a baseball venue, it was adopted by Derby County as their permanent home in 1895. At its peak the ground held over 42,000 supporters; its final all-seater capacity was approximately 18,300.

Derby County departed for Pride Park Stadium in 1997, the Baseball Ground was demolished in 2003-04, and around 150 homes plus a commemorative statue now stand on the site.

Victorian Origins: How a Baseball Ground Became a Football Cathedral

The ground’s unusual name traces directly to Sir Francis Ley, owner of Ley’s Malleable Castings Vulcan Ironworks in Derby. After visiting the United States in 1889, Ley returned captivated by baseball and funded a full recreation complex — Ley’s Recreation Centre — for his foundry workers. Ley’s Baseball Ground opened in 1890 and hosted Derby Baseball Club until 1898, when interest in the sport faded and the facility lost its primary purpose.

Derby County had been playing at the County Ground on Nottingham Road since the club’s founding in 1884, but fixture clashes with Derbyshire County Cricket Club made scheduling difficult. The club had occasionally used Ley’s ground as an overflow venue, and when a permanent, conflict-free home was needed, the Baseball Ground was the obvious choice. Derby County moved in full-time in 1895, and the name stayed for over a century.

The club purchased the freehold from Ley’s heirs in 1924 for £10,000. That ownership secured the platform for decades of investment: new stands were built through the 1930s, capacity expanded steadily, and the Baseball Ground developed from a workers’ sports pitch into a genuine football venue.

The Stadium: Stands, Layout, and Atmosphere

The Baseball Ground occupied a tight residential pocket bordered by Shaftesbury Crescent to the west, Vulcan Street to the south, the former Ley foundry to the east, and Cambridge Street to the north. Its footprint retained a subtly triangular character inherited from the original baseball diamond layout — unlike any standard rectangular football ground of the same era. One of its most distinctive visual features was its floodlighting: rather than tall corner pylons, the lights were mounted directly on the rooflines of the stands, giving the ground a compact, enclosed look.

The four main stand areas were the Ley Stand on the east (also known as the Pop Side, divided into Vulcan and Colombo terraces with executive boxes above), the West Stand, the Osmaston End to the north — a double-decker structure built in 1933 — and the Normanton End to the south, constructed in 1935. The Normanton End was severely damaged by a German air raid in 1941 and subsequently rebuilt.

At its peak capacity in the late 1960s and early 1970s the ground held over 42,000 supporters, a remarkable figure given how tightly it was hemmed in by terraced streets. The enclosed, steep-sided character of the stadium gave it a well-earned reputation for intense home atmosphere. Opposing sides found the Baseball Ground genuinely difficult; tight sightlines and passionate Derbyshire crowds created a cauldron effect that Clough’s players exploited as a clear tactical advantage.

Brian Clough, Dave Mackay, and Two First Division Titles

The Baseball Ground’s defining era arrived when Brian Clough was appointed Derby County manager in 1967. He won promotion from the Second Division in 1969, and Derby’s first season back in the top flight immediately produced the stadium’s record crowd: 41,826 supporters packed in on 20 September 1969 for a First Division match against Tottenham Hotspur, which Derby won 5-0. The Baseball Ground also holds the distinction of having staged a full England international — England beat Ireland 2-1 in a British Home Championship fixture on 11 February 1911 — but the Clough era eclipsed even that milestone in significance.

Clough guided Derby to the First Division title in 1972, the club’s first-ever league championship. The Baseball Ground’s heavy, muddy pitch and ferocious home support were a recognised factor in that title run. Clough and his assistant Peter Taylor departed in October 1973, but the trophy-winning momentum carried on.

Dave Mackay, appointed manager shortly after Clough’s departure, led Derby to a second First Division title in 1975, finishing two points ahead of Liverpool with 53 points. Where Clough’s championship side was built on defensive discipline, Mackay’s was an attacking team: midfielder Bruce Rioch finished as top league scorer with 15 goals, while Kevin Hector, Francis Lee, and Roger Davies each contributed 12 or more. Two league titles in four years, both celebrated at the Baseball Ground, remain the pinnacle of Derby County’s history.

The Notorious Mud Pitch

Alongside the noise, the Baseball Ground was famous — and feared by visiting teams — for one of the worst playing surfaces in English football. The pitch sat several feet below the level of the surrounding streets, a legacy of the site’s original layout, and drainage was consistently poor. Long-serving groundsman Bob Smith compared what heavy rain did to the surface to “pouring water into a saucer of flour and it becoming gooey,” and by midwinter the pitch regularly degenerated into a featureless mud bath.

The most cited example came in a 1977 First Division match against Manchester City, which Derby won 4-0, when the penalty spot was reportedly swallowed entirely by mud. Brian Clough was said to actively prefer a heavy, well-watered pitch, believing the conditions disrupted more technically-minded away sides and suited Derby’s physical, direct approach — turning a groundskeeping problem into a genuine tactical weapon. The pitch’s reputation followed the ground for the rest of its life and is still one of the things former players and supporters remember most vividly about it.

Decline, All-Seater Conversion, and the Final Match

After Dave Mackay’s title-winning side broke up in the late 1970s, Derby slid down the divisions through the 1980s, and investment in the ground itself slowed even as English football began modernising around it. Following the 1990 Taylor Report’s requirement that top-flight clubs convert to all-seater stadiums, the Baseball Ground’s terraces were progressively replaced with seats through the early 1990s, cutting capacity from its 42,000 peak to roughly 18,300 by the time Derby left.

Hemmed in on all sides by Normanton’s terraced streets, the ground had no room to expand or add the corporate and safety facilities modern top-flight football increasingly demanded. By the mid-1990s Derby County had committed to a new, purpose-built stadium at Pride Park, about a mile away. The Baseball Ground’s final competitive match came on 11 May 1997, a Premier League fixture against Arsenal that Derby lost 3-1 in front of 18,287 supporters. The club moved into the new Pride Park Stadium for the start of the 1997-98 season, while reserve and youth teams continued to use the old ground until 2003.

Demolition and What Stands on the Site Today

Once the reserve team’s use of the ground ended in 2003, Derby County sold the site for redevelopment. Before it disappeared entirely, the Baseball Ground gave up one last piece of its history: a time capsule buried beneath the Osmaston End pitch in 1992 to mark the club’s centenary there was dug up in September 2003, opened with the help of former Derby player and manager Roy McFarland, and found to contain a Subbuteo set, matchday programmes, and other memorabilia from the time.

The stadium was demolished in 2003-04 and the land redeveloped into a residential estate of around 150 homes, with construction starting in 2004. Streets on the estate, including one named Baseball Drive, nod directly to the site’s footballing past. The clearest physical reminder is a 15-foot steel sculpture by artist Denis O’Connor, unveiled at the site on 10 September 2010, depicting three silhouetted footballers in mid-kick — a permanent marker close to where the Baseball Ground’s pitch once stood.

For more on the club’s history at the ground and its current home, see the official Derby County page on the Baseball Ground.

Baseball Ground, Derby FAQs

Why was Derby County’s stadium called the Baseball Ground?

Because the site was built in 1890 by industrialist Sir Francis Ley for a baseball club he founded after visiting the United States, not for football. Derby County only began using it as an overflow venue and then adopted it as their full-time home in 1895, but the original name stuck for the next 102 years.

When did Derby County leave the Baseball Ground?

Derby played their last competitive match there on 11 May 1997, a 3-1 Premier League defeat to Arsenal watched by 18,287 fans, before moving into the new Pride Park Stadium for the 1997-98 season. Reserve and youth teams kept using the Baseball Ground until 2003.

What was the capacity of the Baseball Ground?

At its peak in the late 1960s and 1970s it held more than 42,000 spectators. After the Taylor Report forced English clubs to convert to all-seater grounds in the early 1990s, capacity fell to roughly 18,300 by the time Derby left in 1997.

What was the record attendance at the Baseball Ground?

41,826 fans packed in on 20 September 1969 to watch Derby beat Tottenham Hotspur 5-0 in the First Division, the season after Brian Clough had won promotion to the top flight.

Why was the Baseball Ground’s pitch so notorious?

The playing surface sat several feet below the surrounding streets with poor drainage, and by winter it regularly turned into a mud bath — in a 1977 match against Manchester City the penalty spot was reportedly lost in the mud entirely. Brian Clough was said to prefer the heavy pitch as a tactical edge over more technical visiting teams.

What is on the site of the Baseball Ground today?

The ground was demolished in 2003-04 and replaced with a housing estate of around 150 homes, including a street called Baseball Drive. A 15-foot steel sculpture of three silhouetted footballers by artist Denis O’Connor was unveiled on the site in September 2010 to commemorate the stadium.

Get More from Baseball Ground, Derby

Log the coasters, stadiums, and venues you’ve experienced, rate Baseball Ground, Derby, and see what your friends thought. Get the ThrillZing app.